Thursday, October 30, 2008

It's a God Thing!

Well, Operation Christmas Child is over for another year. We coordinated the filling and collection of boxes for our church this year - the first time they had been involved with this project. The response was overwhelming. We collected a total of 34 shoe boxes and enough money to cover the postage for all of them. This far exceeded my expectations. Someone congratulated me on what we had achieved and I explained that it had nothing to do with me - it must have been a "God thing". Apart from doing a presentation the Sunday that we introduced the project, and obviously working behind the scenes to collate the goodies, I didn't do anything to promote it or encourage people to become involved. God worked in people's hearts and prompted them to give so freely and I have to give HIM all the glory.
God brought that concept back to mind again today as I pondered something that has come about this week. I had been trying to organise some work experience for Hannah. We had approached some members of our church who owned a business and were actually in the process of organising for this to occur. Something didn't quite gel and I felt a little unease about it but was going to ignore that feeling and go ahead anyway. God, however, had other plans! Quite by "chance" we met up with a couple that we knew during our time at Bible College many years ago. Turns out that they own a music store and offered Hannah the opportunity to do some work experience there. If you know Hannah, you would know that this is far more up her alley than the previous buisness. We have confidence that the people she will be working with are strong Christians who have her best interests at heart and will guide her in more than just the physical aspects of working in a music shop. They will take her under their wing and nurture her for which we are grateful. Hannah is very excited and I am left praising God yet again for His ability to work things out sometimes inspite of me. Another "God thing"!
When will I ever learn to let God be God and stop trying to put Him into a box? When will I step out of the way and let Him work out His plan in His way, without my intervention?

1 comment:

Greg and Linda, Hayley, Jacob, Zachariah and Aaron Wilson said...

That's great. It sounds like it is just up her alley. Tell Hannah that my Dad bought me a new flute for my 40th. I'm practising it for the Christmas carols. Hayley is singing in the choir and Jake is manning the projector.