Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Adelaide Christmas Pagaent

Hannah and Michelle ventured into the city today, on the bus, on their own. Well, not technically on their own as there were (if you believe the news reports) about 300,000 other people there! It was the day of the Adelaide Christmas Pageant! Michelle did a St John's duty and Hannah kindly offered to take her. Of course she had her own reasons for going but I appreciated her doing it all the same. Hannah is obsessed with brass bands at the moment so saw the pageant as an excellent opportunity to witness first hand, a variety of brass bands up close and personal. I stayed home and watched it on the television!
When the girls came home, foot sore and exhausted, we watched the pageant on video. I have never been all that interested in either attending or watching the pageant but this year I did enjoy watching it through their eyes. Hannah managed to catch up with six people she knew that were participating in the pageant - one in a singing group, one in the police band and four in the Tea Tree Gully Redbacks, the band she aspires to join (hopefully next year!).
"Normal" people line the streets and watch the parade go past them but not Hannah. She walked alongside the Police Band for quite some distance and then looped back several times in order to follow some of the other bands. The route is 3.2 kms but I would think that she walked at least double that today.
Michelle enjoyed her duty even though she didn't have to treat anybody (I think she was rather grateful for that). After patrolling for some time, once the Pageant got under way, she managed to stand and watch the parade so I don't believe she walked nearly as far as Hannah, even though she was the one on duty!
It is another step in letting out the apron strings - they are moving out into the world without me! I'm not complaining really, as I certainly enjoyed putting my feet up at home with my cup of coffee! It's just that it is a new experience for me. I did love hearing about their day and sharing in their adventures on their return.

1 comment:

Greg and Linda, Hayley, Jacob, Zachariah and Aaron Wilson said...

Yeah, they do grow up don't they. Hayley is NEARLY as tall as me now, and Jacob is quickly gaining and often startles me with his deep voice in the house (me thinking its a strange man!).